Rikchik tech development was, for the most part, similar to humans.
Certain things are missing, and certain things are new.
- The Wheel
- Never came up: the lack of harnessable animals also had an effect.
See Repulsion for why they don't miss it.
Pulleys appeared at TL4, gears at TL5.
- The chemicals involved are not common: by the time it was synthesized,
it was unnecessary. See Displacement.
- Anything sound-related
- Obviously, not as obvious for them as for us. They are aware that
vibrations can be carried through the air, but not of the amount of
information that can be gained through frequency analysis, etc.
- They get similar effects through math involving infinite series, but
derivatives and integrals are foreign to them.
- Radio Communication
- They know how to do this (at TL6), but don't like to, as it tends to
cause unpleasant effects in crystals that are usually very tasty. (Imagine
if radio broadcasts made chocolate bitter.) Also, the lack of sound makes
it less easily useful.
- Winged Flight
- No winged animals on Rigil 2, so no examples. There are
buoyant (lighter-than-air) animals, and rikchiks learned how to do that very
- Repulsion (at TL2)
- Certain substances (which occur naturally on Rigil 2), in certain shapes,
push against gravity. This allows creation of hovering platforms,
but they cannot easily be raised or lowered without destroying the
repulsion effect, except by tying them to something. (Some amount of
height control was developed at TL4.) Basic repulsion requires a
strong radial gravity well, such as a planet.
Advanced repulsion (TL6, TL7) allows raising and lowering (using liquid
forms of the repulsion alloys) and repulsion-driven horizontal movement,
as well as repulsion within a spinning inertial-gravity environment.
Repulsion will not work against inertia generated within an accelerating
- Displacement (at TL4)
- Another strange chemical process, possibly related to Repulsion, by
which 3 stones in a row become a particle beam on contact, consuming two
of the stones. The discovery and understanding of this revolutionized
rikchik warfare, much like Gunpowder did for
Advanced understanding of the principles behind displacement (TL7) allows
other effects, including nuclear fission.
- Pathonic theory (at TL6)
- Rikchiks can naturally "see" emotions: they have a pathonic
detection organ. Some amount of pathonic theory existed at TL4, but true
understanding of pathons and construction of artificial pathon detectors
did not occur until TL6. The mass effects of pathons was known but the
FTL travel implications escaped rikchik scientists until human contact.
- Universal Language (at TL4)
- The worldwide rikchik culture embraced a universal 2nd language in
the post-golden age. Today all rikchiks speak this language,
possibly in addition to a national language.