[DWJ] Another reading list

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at keyfitz.org
Tue May 2 10:40:37 EDT 2017

On Mon, 1 May 2017, D.J. Natelson via Dwj wrote:

> I love "Dealing with Dragons" and the next took books in the Enchanted
> Forest Chronicles, but the fourth book does this really weird thing
> where it completely (and without explanation) changes the history and
> continuity of what happened. I'll read the others again, but not that
> one.  I do think this is a slightly odd choice for the list, since it's
> aimed at a younger age group, but thinking back, I realize there are
> some genuinely funny moments.

If by the fourth book you mean "Talking to Dragons," it's because it was
written first, published in 1985, when "Dealing with Dragons" came out in
1990. So Patricia C. Wrede was trying, as a more experienced (and much
better) writer to make things come around to where she'd started them off
in "Talking to Dragons." I don't think it retcons it; I think it actually
comes around pretty well, but taking that step back in writing
sophistication always jars me a bit.