[DWJ] Japanese titles of DWJ books

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Tue Jun 13 01:46:28 EDT 2017

My guesses are below after some spoiler space...

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 at 22:40, Catherine Butler <cathcbutler at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For various reasons I just had occasion to find out the Japanese titles of
> DWJ's books. While many mirrored the English titles, or were at least
> fairly self-explanatory, some were sufficiently different to offer an
> identification challenge. I've made literal translations of some of the
> more obscure below (with a few easy ones thrown in the leaven the matter).
> Which is which?
>
> Seven magicians

Archer's Goon

> If you live with a witch

Earwig and the Witch

> Who is the wizard?

Witch Week

> To the sacred islands

Drowned Ammet

> The crown beyond time

The Crown of Dalemark (a word my autocorrect already knows)

> The poet’s journey

Cart and Cwidder

> Employed at the magical mansion

Conrad's Fate

> The ninth year’s magic

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting The Lives of Christopher Chant

> The story of the cursed neck ring

Power of Three

> Bounders - the world's most evil games

The Homeward Bounders

> How many miles to Babylon?

Deep Secret

> The dog who came from the starry sky

Dogsbody

> There is a demon on the ground floor!

The Ogre Downstairs

> Magic thief

The Magicians of Caprona

> If you follow the silver spiral

Hmm. The Game?

> Legend of the sea-running knight

I already said Drowned Ammet so Everard's Ride?

> Magical journey of the wise lady

I want to say Howl's Moving Castle but the film title literally means
"Howl's Moving Castle" so probably not. A Sudden Wild Magic?

> Flower magic, white dragon

The Merlin Conspiracy

These are fun! Do you have any more?

Eleanor