[DWJ] Japanese titles of DWJ books

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 12 19:51:49 EDT 2017

My guesses are below.

Regards
Elizabeth

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwj [mailto:dwj-bounces at suberic.net] On Behalf Of Catherine Butler
Sent: Monday, 12 June 2017 9:39 a.m.
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion
Subject: [DWJ] Japanese titles of DWJ books

For various reasons I just had occasion to find out the Japanese titles of DWJ's books. While many mirrored the English titles, or were at least fairly self-explanatory, some were sufficiently different to offer an identification challenge. I've made literal translations of some of the more obscure below (with a few easy ones thrown in the leaven the matter).
Which is which?

Seven magicians
If you live with a witch
Who is the wizard?
To the sacred islands
The crown beyond time
The poet’s journey
Employed at the magical mansion
The ninth year’s magic
The story of the cursed neck ring
Bounders - the world's most evil games
How many miles to Babylon?
The dog who came from the starry sky
There is a demon on the ground floor!
Magic thief
If you follow the silver spiral
Legend of the sea-running knight
Magical journey of the wise lady
Flower magic, white dragon

Cathy

Possible spoilers below

*

*

*

*

*

*

*
Seven magicians	-	Archers Goon
If you live with a witch	-	Time of the Ghost
Who is the wizard?	-	Witch Week
To the sacred islands	-	(I think this is a Dalemark one?)
The crown beyond time	-	Crown of Dalemark
The poet’s journey	- 	Cart and Cwidder
Employed at the magical mansion	-	Conrad's Choice
The ninth year’s magic	-	Fire and Hemlock (or Hexwood)
The story of the cursed neck ring
Bounders - the world's most evil games	-	Homeward Bounders
How many miles to Babylon?		-	Deep Secret?
The dog who came from the starry sky	-	Dogsbody
There is a demon on the ground floor!	-	Howl's Moving Castle
Magic thief				- 	Castle in the Air (or perhaps Lives of Christopher Chant?)
If you follow the silver spiral		-	The Game
Legend of the sea-running knight
Magical journey of the wise lady		-	Deep secret (Or Howl's Moving Castle; or the Spellcoats)
Flower magic, white dragon		- 	Merlin's Choice