[DWJ] Fwd: Re: Tune of "Angel of Caprona"

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Thu Jul 13 05:55:37 EDT 2017

Talking of tunes from classical music that really ought to have some
words...

The slow melody in the middle of "Jupiter" in Holst's Planets Suite
started out that way.  As far as I know, Holst did not derive it from
any other source.

Later it did become a song, or several songs, including "I Vow To Thee
My Country".  And as it goes with hymn tunes, the tune itself has a
name, independent of any version of the words.

Here's the ObDWJ: the tune is called "Thaxted", after the village where
Holst and DWJ both lived.

I am very fond of this fact.

Eleanor