[DWJ] Tune of "Angel of Caprona"

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:23:28 EDT 2017

So, actually, this list's own Judith Ridge once posted an interview she
conducted with DWJ where this came up.  It's linked here:
http://www.misrule.com.au/dwj92_5.html, and it seems that the tune she had
in mind was actually the main melody of Smetana's Vltava/Moldau (which she
gives a clue to in the book by calling Caprona's river Voltava).  I'm not
sure why I would know more about anything related to classical music than
DWJ, but it is by Smetana, not Jana├žek.  The other thing is that. . . well,
Smetana didn't invent the melody of the Moldau, it came from a Renaissance
tune that was reused by a number of other songs after the Renaissance.  And
apart from the Moldau it was also used to form the main melody of
"Hatikvah," the national anthem of Israel.  So ever since first reading
that interview I've kind of thought of Caprona as secretly Israel, since
the Israelis did in fact put words to the tune, even if they weren't the
first to do so. . . .

---Kyra