[DWJ] Off-topic Note: Nice News

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Thu Jan 26 05:33:56 EST 2017

I tried answering this, but apparantly my message was rejected by the
server. So, copy pasting:

That's a lovely compliment, Nic, and makes me want to read your manuscript.

As for rejections: Diana's agent, Laura Cecil, said to me a few years ago,
that had she tried to sell one of Diana's books as an unestablished writer
in today's publishing climate, she's not sure she could have found it a
home. Diana had many rejections. There are fashions and norms that change
constantly, and so many decisions in publishing are based on rigid
preconceptions of what is "marketable" regardless of the actual quality of
the work. Never forget that Harry Potter was rejected by a dozen different
publishers before Bloomsbury picked it up, and then only printed a few
hundred copies as a test run. You need to keep believing in yourself and
try, try again, until you find that one publisher who will fall in love
with your work.