[DWJ] Cold Comfort Farm was Best of 2017??

Roslyn Gross rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 23 04:31:45 EST 2017

Thanks so much, Gili!

On 22/1/17, 8:11 pm, "Dwj on behalf of Gili Bar-Hillel" <dwj-bounces at suberic.net on behalf of gbhillel at netvision.net.il> wrote:

    So many responded that I thought maybe best to set up a Google spreadsheet
    that everyone can view. But I've never done this before, so I hope I
    haven't messed up! The link is:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IRRtBgwjtH8_cOhUZ2HUohbuD_GyKEc-POBARIB0tCc/edit?usp=sharing

    I thought of a couple more books I really enjoyed that haven't been
    mentioned here yet.

    "Windswept" by Adam Rakunas is SF that reminded me a bit of Bujold, in that
    - other than the main mystery plot - it follows a bright, underachieving
    protagonist navigating a world of villainous petty bureaucrats and small
    minded idiots.

    "Of Sorrow and Such" by Angela Slatter. This novella is so moving, and
    wise, and beautifully written. I don't know why I haven't read everything
    else by her yet, maybe because it's such rich, heady stuff and nowadays I'm
    often too tired to read books I know will not be any kind of fluff.

    A guilty pleasure of mine are the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs.
    One thing I'm liking about the series is that it is honestly developing
    from book to book: issues shift, Mercy and others are scarred by events of
    past books, there's a progression, which means that the books really do
    need to be read in order and are not just more of the same.

    Am I the only one who DISLIKED Bujold's "Gentleman Jole"? Without spoiling
    too much, it felt a bit like filler material, not enough happening in the
    actual plot, just enough to set up the next book, maybe. Also a really icky
    feeling akin to walking in on your parents having sex. But I liked the
    Penric novellas just fine.

    Congratulations to the newly engaged, and to Melissa on her newest book!
    Hope the dentist appointment went painlessly. My daughter also wants to be
    an animator!

    Deborah, was it "Smek for President" you wanted to check out, or the Hebrew
    translation of "The True Meaning of Smekday"? The book was translated by
    Noa Shavit, who seemed to navigate JLo's quirks intuitively. I can't
    exactly describe what she did in Hebrew, but his language does stand out as
    different - stiff and childish at the same time - but also makes perfect
    sense in Hebrew, much as the English does.

    And Jameela, of course you are welcome to share with Rene and whomever you
    feel would be interested.

    Gili