[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Roslyn Gross rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 21 08:10:26 EST 2017

Gili, please add me to your list as well. And congratulations to the engaged people, and to Melissa on her many published books (I’ve been meaning to catch up with them for quite a while!)

A bit belatedly, these are the books I most enjoyed over the last year (or two, or three ☺). Some of these have been mentioned by others before.

The stand-outs:

Katherine Addison, The Goblin Emperor
Lois McMaster Bujold, Penric novellas
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road
Ellen Emerson White, Life Wthout Friends
Andrea Host, Medair duology; the Touchstone series; the Pyramids of London, and The Towers, the Moon

Others I enjoyed:

Paula Weston, The Rephaim series (Australian author; first one is called Shadows) This series was excellent and almost belongs in the ‘stand-out’ section.
Zen Cho, Sorceror to the Crown
Sharon Shinn, Elemental Blessings series
WR Gingell, Masque
Alwyn Hamilton, Rebel of the Sands
Meghan Ciana Doidge, The Dowser Series and The Oracle series (connected)
Seanan McGuire, Incryptid series, including short stories
Connie Willis, Crosstalk
Becky Chambers, A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, and its sequelm A Closed and Common Orbit
Jodi Taylor, The Chronicles of St Mary’s
Nancy Atherton, Aunt Dimity books – these actually began to be written around a decade ago but continue to be delightful.
Eleanor Beresford, Scholars and Sorcery series (first – Pegasi & Prefects) – in the style of the old-style British boarding school books, only queer.

Ros