[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Thu Jan 19 14:35:17 EST 2017

Jameela, I love your reading list. I actually agree with you on teaching The Colour of Magic. When I recommend Discworld books, I usually tell people to pick a sub-series and start with the second book, because what they want is a feel for what Pratchett's style developed into. But The Colour of Magic is so valuable for showing what he did with parody, and Pratchett wouldn't have become what he did if he hadn't started there. I wish I could take your class. I'm taking a writing workshop on fantasy literature in 2018, and there's a reading list--I love reading lists. :)

Melissa Proffitt

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwj [mailto:dwj-bounces at suberic.net] On Behalf Of Jameela Lares
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:08 AM
To: Diana Wynne Jones discussion
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Best of 2017??

Although I do not have a ready list of what I read in 2016, I did succeed in teaching my survey class on Anglo-American fantasy from  Tolkien, even _Fire and Hemlock_.  I had mentioned earlier this year that I was worried about teaching it, and your comments on student worries about age difference helped me channel that concern.   I also introduced the book with a day on the two ballads that inform it, which seemed to help.  Several of my students from that class are now in my Milton + epic course, and yesterday one of them announced that her favorite book is _Fire and Hemlock_.  Yay!

Here is what we covered in the class:

Ben Aaronovitch, Midnight Riot (Peter Grant series).
Diana Wynne Jones, Fire & Hemlock.
---. "The Heroic Ideal—A Personal Odyssey."
Ursula LeGuin, A Wizard of Earthsea.
---. "The Critics, the Monsters, and the Fantasists."
C. S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
	---. The Great Divorce.
	---. Perelandra, introductory chapters (online).
---. "Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What’s to Be Said."
Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic (Discworld series).
J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone [or Philosopher's Stone].
"Tam Lin," Ed. Arthur Quiller-Couch, Oxford Book of Ballads.
J. R. R. Tolkien, Tree and Leaf.
---. The Hobbit.
Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer, Sorcery & Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot.

Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Professor of English
University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037