[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Janet Eastwood janet.eastwood at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 18:52:26 EST 2017

I'm just waiting for Thick as Thieves to come out :)

I hand-wavingly third, fourth, and fifth the recommendations of Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho and The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. For the latter, spare yourself a lot of puzzling over titles/names and formal pronouns and start with the note at the end. Zen Cho's short story collection Spirits Abroad is also excellent - and a sequel to Sorcerer to the Crown is in the works!

MG novels:

The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency series by Jordan Stratford - very different, sometimes difficult girls become friends

The Girl with the Glass Bird by Esme Kerr - boarding school story, pulls no punches with untrustworthy adults

The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands - historical fiction that reads like fantasy

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud - children who hunt ghosts

YA:

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire - after the portal fantasy is over...

The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow - really snarky AI, political child hostages, set on a goat farm in Saskatchewan

Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray - sequel to The Diviners and possibly even better

Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey - Farah Mendlesohn recommended this and she was so right

Graphic novels:

Ms. Marvel - Kamala Khan is worth every bit of praise you've heard

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - I will probably never stop recommending this. Monkpunk!

Gotham Academy - I don't read Batman or most comics so this was a suprise. Read it to meet Maps, if for nothing else

Lumberjanes - summer camp + cabinmates and besties + impossible (fantasy/mythology/dinosaur) adventures

Baba Yaga's Assistant by Marika McCoola and Emily Carroll - grieving girl runs away to become Baba Yaga's apprentice

Adult:

The Mangoverse series by Shira Glassman - really sweet queer Jewish fantasy world WITH DRAGONS

Fanfiction:

World Ain't Ready by idiopathicsmile (on AO3) - Les Mis fic, modern high school AU, really well written and well handled. You don't need to know anything about Les Mis to enjoy and understand this.

Everyone's recommendations look fantastic; I don't know whether to thank you wholeheartedly or to grumble at a newly elongated TBR list. Thank you all, wonderful people!

Janet