[DWJ] Best of 2017??

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Jan 18 14:57:16 EST 2017

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Jameela Lares wrote:

> Although I do not have a ready list of what I read in 2016, I did succeed in teaching my survey class on Anglo-American fantasy from  Tolkien, even _Fire and Hemlock_.  I had mentioned earlier this year that I was worried about teaching it, and your comments on student worries about age difference helped me channel that concern.   I also introduced the book with a day on the two ballads that inform it, which seemed to help.  Several of my students from that class are now in my Milton + epic course, and yesterday one of them announced that her favorite book is _Fire and Hemlock_.  Yay!

That looks like a great syllabus, Jameela. I taught my SFF for children
and young adults class again this fall for the first time in  five
years, and I was impressed at how much growth there's been in the field
that forced me to rework the syllabus  again..  (My syllabus is much
less classics/history oriented---ffor values of classics and history
that apparently include the late 20th century. *g*)

My syllabus is at https://suberic.net/~deborah.kaplan/courses/414/ . The
section on the reading list is:

     Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time (1963)
     William Alexander, Ambassador (2014)
     Tamora Pierce, Alanna: the First Adventure (1983)
     Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, The Conch Bearer (2003)
     Barry Deutsch, Hereville (2011)
     Laurence Yep, Dragon of the Lost Sea (1982)
     Diana Wynne Jones, Dark Lord of Derkholm (1998)
     Noelle Stevenson, Nimona (2015)
     Philippa Pearce, Tom's Midnight Garden (1959)
     Mary Norton, The Borrowers (1953)
     Daniel José Older, Shadowshaper (2015)
     Monica Hughes, The Game (previously Invitation to the Game) (1990)
     Lois Lowry, The Giver (1993)
     Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu, The Shadow Speaker (2007)
     Ambelin Kwaymullina,The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf (2014)
     Robert C. O'Brien, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (1971)
     Nancy Farmer, The House of the Scorpion (2002)
     Nancy Werlin, Double Helix (2004)
     Margaret Mahy, The Changeover (1984)
     Cassandra Clare City of Bones (2007)
     Alaya Dawn Johnson, The Summer Prince (2013)
     Robert A. Heinlein, Podkayne of Mars, Her Life and Times (1963)
     Adam Rex, The True Meaning of Smekday (2007)
     Corinne Duyvis, On the Edge of Gone (2016)
     Robin McKinley, Beauty (1978)
     Donna Jo Napoli, Breath (2003)
     Joseph Bruchac, Killer of Enemies (2013)
     Neil Gaiman, Coraline (2002)
     Jill Thompson, Magic Trixie (2008)
     Dia Reeves, Bleeding Violet (2010)
     Catherine Jinks, Living Hell (2010)
     Ysabeau Wilce Flora Segunda (2007)
     Guadalupe Garcia McCall Summer of the Mariposas (2012)
     Sarah Zettel Dust Girl (2012)
     Arnold Lobel Mouse Soup (1977)
     Rubert Munsch Paper Bag Princess (1980)
     Chris Raschka Arlene Sardine (1998)
     Doreen Cronin Click Clack Moo (2000)
     Emily Gravett Orange Pear Apple Bear (2007)
     Christopher Myers Jabberwocky (2007)
     Ben Hatke Zita the Spacegirl (2011)
     G. Willow Wilson Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal (2014)

It's a very long list, of course. A fair amount of it is paper books and
middle grade fiction, and they are graduate students who are expected to
do a solid amount of reading, but if I teach it again I will probably
bring it down by about one fewer book a week.

-deborah