[DWJ] Best of 2016

D.J. Natelson debrisoftheages at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 10:55:36 EST 2017

These books are mostly not new releases, but I read them for the first time in 2016.  With two exceptions, the authors were entirely new to me also.
 *Shadow Prowler – Alexey Pehov,translated by Andrew Bromfield.  First ofhis Chronicles of Siala trilogy.  (A second trilogy set in the future is out,but only the first book of that has been translated into English.)  Books 2 and 3 are Shadow Chaser and ShadowBlizzard.  The books are onecontinuous story, not three separate ones. High fantasy, don’t judge it by its highly misleading cover.  This is my #1 pick for the year. *Ice Station Zebra and TheSatan Bug – Alistair MacLean. Action/spy/survival thrillers.  Noexcessive violence, no bad language, no sex. *Fated – Benedict Jacka.  The first of his Alex Verus series, urban fantasy.  *The Sea of Trolls – Nancy Farmer.  The first of a trilogy, of which I’ve nowread the first two.  Middle-gradefantasy. *Enchanted, Inc. – Shanna Swendson.  Not exactly deep literature, but I find thisseries quite fun.  I’ve now read thefirst six or so.  No smut, romancefantasy.) *Cloak – Timothy Zahn.  Techno thriller.  First 20 pages a little slow. * Revenge of the Sith and LukeSkywalker and the Shadows of Mindor – Matthew Stover. The Star Wars: Episode 3 novelization is farand away the best novelization I have ever read.   I have begun one of his non-Star Wars books,and it is beyond violent.  However,Stover remains a fantastically talented writer. *The Creeping Shadow – JonathanStroud.  A continuation of his fantastic Lockwood & Co. series, which beginswith TheScreaming Staircase. *MURDER AND MAYHEM – RandallGarrett (the first of a few books, compiled in Lord Darcy.  Sherlock Holmes meets alternate-universe-1960s-with-magic. *THE GOLDEN ONE – Deborah Chester.  Science fiction.  This is the first of her Alien trilogy, which I’ve now completed.  She also writes middle grade fantasy underthe name C. Aubrey Hall.