[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Kylie Ding kylie_ding at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:17:10 EST 2017

The best thing I read in the past year wasn't a novel, it was a short story.  "A Handfull of Ashes" by Garth Nix, from the collection Under My Hat edited by Jonathan Strahan.  This was the collection that was given to the attendees of the DWJ conference in Newcastle a couple of years ago, so I highly recommend those of you who were there (*waves*) dig it out and have a read!  I really wanted more from Nix set in this world.

I am still working my way through the stories in this book, as I have a low tolerance for short fiction, but hopefully there will be a few more gems.

On the novel side I did not read as much as I would have liked.  I reread the Flora Segunda novels (a list recommendation), and want more!  Wahhhhh, that there probably won't be!  They also seem to be out of print so I can't buy them for my nieces.

A Face Like Glass was the first Frances Hardinge novel that I read that I really liked.  I enjoyed it more than The Lie Tree, which I wanted to like but did not quite get on with.

Other than that, still liking Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, but I think the last couple have not been up to the standard of the first few.  I finally got hold of the latest Vlad Taltos book by Steven Brust, and that was very enjoyable and a bit of a return to form.  Still enjoying anything John Varley writes, too.

My nearly ten-year-old is being stubborn with reading at the moment, and prefers to watch Netflix.  This is after being an avid reader, but easily distracted by technology.  She says she does not feel like reading after having to read and summarise part of a book for school every day for homework.  I have so many lovely books  waiting for her when she gets over this!!

Congratulations to the engaged people!

Byeeeee,
Kylie