[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Jameela Lares jameela.lares at usm.edu
Wed Jan 18 08:07:48 EST 2017

Although I do not have a ready list of what I read in 2016, I did succeed in teaching my survey class on Anglo-American fantasy from  Tolkien, even _Fire and Hemlock_.  I had mentioned earlier this year that I was worried about teaching it, and your comments on student worries about age difference helped me channel that concern.   I also introduced the book with a day on the two ballads that inform it, which seemed to help.  Several of my students from that class are now in my Milton + epic course, and yesterday one of them announced that her favorite book is _Fire and Hemlock_.  Yay!

Here is what we covered in the class:

Ben Aaronovitch, Midnight Riot (Peter Grant series).
Diana Wynne Jones, Fire & Hemlock.
---. "The Heroic Ideal—A Personal Odyssey."
Ursula LeGuin, A Wizard of Earthsea.
---. "The Critics, the Monsters, and the Fantasists."
C. S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
	---. The Great Divorce.
	---. Perelandra, introductory chapters (online).
---. "Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What’s to Be Said."
Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic (Discworld series).
J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone [or Philosopher's Stone].
"Tam Lin," Ed. Arthur Quiller-Couch, Oxford Book of Ballads.
J. R. R. Tolkien, Tree and Leaf.
---. The Hobbit.
Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer, Sorcery & Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot.

Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
Professor of English
University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037