[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Stallcup, Jackie E jackie.stallcup at csun.edu
Tue Jan 17 22:18:15 EST 2017

Thank you everyone!  I have been adding and adding to my shopping basket and am looking forward to trying out these books.  After all, you are the collective brain that gave me Connie Willis, so I totally and utterly trust you!  Speaking of Willis, I read her new one this year:  Crosstalk.  I think I need to re-read it.  I enjoyed it, but I think her quirks as a writer are showing.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but a little distracting.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet one series that I read and enjoyed this year:  The Last Policeman by Ben Winters.  Maybe enjoyed is not the right word.  It's dark and not heartwarming, but very human.  I don't usually like dark, either, but I did like this.  The second book is Countdown City and the last one is World of Trouble.  Once I finished one, I HAD to get the next one and plunge back in.  A small, spoiler-ish note about the dog is at the bottom of this email.

I also read The Blondes by Emily Schultz.  Interesting.  I don't know that I want to re-read it, but I finished it.  It was ok.

I have also discovered John Scalzi and decided that I adore his work.  This year, I read Lock In and Redshirts.   Actually, I've already read Redshirts twice.  Delightful!  Particularly fun if you like Star Trek.  And I re-read The Android's Dream--which is how I was introduced to Scalzi:  the title caught my eye because of the reference to Philip K. Dick.  I picked it up and was hooked.

Here's a funny quirk for me in regard to John Scalzi.  Almost every book that I've read by him has a geographical bullseye for me:

Agent to the Stars:  a key plot event happens in Pomona, where I live, and the hospital that they take the character to is Pomona Valley, which is about a mile from my house, is where my in-laws have spent a fair amount of time, and is where my husband's life was saved many years ago.  I have been walking the corridors extensively for the past six months (in-law health issues) and thinking about this book.

Redshirts:  at one point, characters end up in a Burbank hotel.  As I was driving home from work the night after reading that point in the book, I realized I could see the hotel from the freeway.

Lock In:  the main character has to go to a condo complex in Glendora.  Again, the night after reading that passage, I drove right past it on my way home.

Ha ha--if you know anything about LA geography you now know that I have a heck of a commute!

Anyway, thanks again for all of the recommendations!

Jackie

Spoiler alert for the Last Policeman series:

If you hate to read books where the dog dies, I can assure you that the dog makes it all the way to the end in this one.  If he had killed the dog, I wouldn't have finished the series.  I know that is going to sound richly ironic given the premise and the outcome of the series, but still.  NO DEAD DOGS, please!  So that was ok

End spoilers