[DWJ] Best of 2017??

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jan 17 16:35:19 EST 2017

Yay for multiple engagements!

1. New to me  in 2016 and not mentioned elsewhere here:

- Daniel Jose Older's SHADOWSHAPER. I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Anika Noni Rose, and absolutely adored it.
- Corrine Duyvis's ON THE EDGE OF GONE and OTHERBOUND.
- Courtney Milan's TRADE ME and
- Russell Hoban's RIDDLEY WALKER. A mere 36 years late!

2. Also new to me,  very much enjoyed, and mentioned here by other people:

- Naomi Novik, UPROOTED
- Zen Cho: SPIRITS ABROAD and SORCERER TO THE CROWN
- Lois McMaster Bujold: the first Penric novella. I enjoyed GENTLEMAN JOLE as very emotionally satisfying, although it didn't blow me away as a novel.
- Terry Pratchett: The last couple of Tiffany Aching books. I've always been a bit wobbly on Pratchett, but I think the Tiffany aching books are wonderful.

3. New to me this year, finally picked up after a list recommendation (Melissa, primarily, I think?) from, like, a decade ago:

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books. I thought the first couple were cute but I think I like them less than other people; they got a little bit twee after a while. I read his children's series last year, though, and I loved it.

4. Not new to me this year but I agree with other people's assessment:

- CODE NAME VERITY, which I also read originally in the audiobook, and I agree it is a masterful performance.

- The FLORA SEGUNDA books, which I think all DWJ fans should give a try. I adore them, and I'm sorry that it looks like there might not be anymore.

- I wasn't a huge fan of CLARIEL, although GOLDENHAND was good.

- William Alexander is, in my opinion, really solid, really enjoyable. He has a middle grade fantasy series which is great, and a middle grade science fiction series. (Also, for those of you who are always keeping an eye open for this kind of thing, both William Alexander and the protagonist of his science-fiction duology AMBASSADOR & NOMAD are the American-born children of Latinx immigrants to the United States.)

5. Other pending reads:

I'm holding off on reading the third Ancillary book until I reread the first two, and I'm holding off on reading the latest Ben Aaronovitch Peter Grant mystery until I reread at least the previous one. But I'm definitely looking forward to both of those.

And I'm certainly looking forward to Megan Whalen Turner's THICK AS THIEVES when it comes out!