[DWJ] Best of 2016

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Mon Jan 16 20:02:43 EST 2017

I got into Ben Aaronovitch recently as well. I've read them all except the
latest one; it was on my Christmas list, but people gave me other books
instead.

The Spring Court in the fourth book strikes me as especially DWJ-ish. It
feels a bit like the convention scenes in _Deep Secret_ — time to stop
worrying about the plot for a while and enjoy watching the characters do
their thing.

I've also been reading Paul Cornell's competing series of Metropolitan
Police urban fantasies — darker, with flawed protagonists and a very
interesting magic system.

For a contrast, I'll recommend _The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet_ by
Becky Chambers. It too has a sequel that I hoped to get for Christmas but
didn't.

Eleanor