[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Colin Fine colin at fine.me.uk
Sun Jan 15 22:12:05 EST 2017

On 13/01/17 02:36, Tina wrote:
> Hello
>
> and belated good wishes for the new year to everyone!
>
> I was wondering if anyone made some best of list for 2016 - I remember
> getting such good recommendations via these.
>
> Since I am have a long train commute this year, I'd love some tips.
> And since I'm afraid I am a bit out of the loop, they need not be "new
> books" (first published in 2016).
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a real list to offer.
>
> My highlight were the Flora Segunda books by Ysabeau S. Wilce - I
> especially loved the audio version of the first book, read by Danielle
> Ferland. (I even bought another audiobook read by her because I wanted
> to continue listening to her, but it wasn't the same. Maybe it was
> because to me she was just such a perfect match for Flora...)
>
> My favorite DWJ re-read was Deep Secret.
>
> My favorite weird genre mix were the first two Laundry Files books by
> Charles Stross. Lovecraft meets Dilbert meets James Bond...
>

> Bettina

Janet Edwards published two novels in 2016, in two different futures -
/Telepath/ and /Reaper/. Since everything she'd published up to then was
in the same future, this was a lovely surprise. I like /Telepath /very
much, and have read it several times. I've only read /Reaper /twice.

YA SF, not Fantasy.

Colin