[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 17:05:09 EST 2017

I probably read many fewer books per year than most of the other people on
this list, but the best book I read this year, though not SFF, was YA -
Elizabeth Wein's heavily hyped *Code Name Verity*, which really did more or
less live up to the hype.  I suspect most of you know it already, but for
anyone who doesn't, female pilots and spies during WWII, highly recommended
if you like awesome female characters and/or spy stories.

It is funny that multiple people mentioned the Ancillary books because I'm
right in the middle of rereading the first book in preparation for finally
reading the third (I say that, but the third only came out a bit over a
year ago, which by my standards is not a long wait at all).  It is an
interesting experience because I found both the first and second books to
be so narratively driven that I basically skimmed both of them the first
time I read them because I just had to find out what happened next.  Then
when I started rereading the first one back in December I had to reskim the
entire thing before I could reread it more slowly and thoughtfully because
it was still so narratively driven.  I'm glad I've taken the time to reread
it more slowly as it definitely rewards reading with attention :)

Congratulations to all those who are engaged!  I am not (nor ever intend to
be), but I did just move yesterday into a new apartment, the first time in
my life I was able to set up and name my own Wifi network.  Since my
computer is the Bannus I decided to name the Wifi network Theta Space.  In
my head, I have decided that maybe since my apartment is generating Theta
Space, which my electronic devices can then use for their own devices,
perhaps my new apartment is the Wood.

---Kyra