[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Nic W eawil3 at email.wm.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:23:20 EST 2017

What a wonderful thread! I think my to-read list just grew a lot.

My favorite book I read in 2016 was *The Goblin Emperor* by Katherine
Addison. Court intrigue with absolutely wonderful characters including one
of the most sympathetic and lovable leads I've ever read. Highly recommend.

In literary fantasy: I love *The Ghost Bride* by Yangsze Choo. Beautiful
and immersive, yet adventurous and upbeat.

Also literary fantasy, this in time in YA: I'm currently reading and
enjoying *The Star-Touched Queen* by Roshani Chokshi.

One of the closest things to a DWJ read-alike that I read in 2016 was *The
Real Boy* by Anne Ursu.

In books that aren't fantasy, I read two very good YA historical novels
this year: *Outrun the Moon* by Stacey Lee and *Burn Baby Burn* by Meg
Medina.

I also read some great nonfiction. Full disclosure, this book was written
by my mom's cousin, but *Greepeace Captain* by Peter Willcox is genuinely
amazing. If you remember the Arctic 30 activists who were arrested by the
Russians in 2014, Cousin Peter was the captain of that ship. His book is
swashbuckling, informative, and funny, and it makes you want to go out and
save the world. :)

- Nic

P.S. Ooh, Jennifer, I think you'll really like *The Night Circus*! I
thought it was fabulous.