[DWJ] Best of 2017??

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 13 06:19:59 EST 2017

Hello all! (brief return from lurking as I happened to see this at a time when I had a free minute)

Some of the best SFF things I read in 2016:

Lois Bujold's Penric novellas

T. Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon's pseudonym): The Seventh Bride and The Raven And The Reindeer

Andrea K Host's Pyramids of London, and the followup book of three short stories set in the same universe... I think it's called The Tower, The Moon (and I've just reread her Touchstone series because the fifth book just came out)

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

All the Raksura books by Martha Wells, and a reread of the Gate of Gods series

Traveller and Wish-Queen by Laura Wise

Zen Cho's collection Spirits Abroad

The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson

A reread of a lot of the Oz books

The Gods of New Asgard series by Tessa Gratton

Foz Meadow's An Accident of Stars

MCA Hogarth's Dreamhealers series

Le Guin's Always Coming Home got reissued!! SO good.

Kathleen Cheney's Golden City series

Cat Valente's Fairyland series

Binti, by Nnedi Okarafor

Sarah Tolmie's The Stone Boatmen

Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead

Heather Rose Jones's Daughter of Mystery

Howl's Moving Castle

(and, ahem, lots of Mercedes Lackey, which is my stress comfort-read.)

... gosh, I read a lot of good things last year. (I want to get round to The Night Circus and Greenglass House in January.)

Goodread's Hugo Eligible lists might be useful to look at, because they have reviews from real people?

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/99201.Hugo_2017_Eligible_Works#24971454

Jennifer