[DWJ] Black Maria

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:15:52 EST 2017

Time of the Ghost is the most distressing DWJ childhood for me to read. The neglect, the dripping milk and the edge of the newspaper in the batter, the near accidental manslaughter by siblings. It is so loveless in those early scenes, and the danger seem so overwhelming yet so tawdry.

(I love the book, but it’s still hard to read those bits).

Black/Aunt Maria always seemed hopeful. The evil was word-based, and it was established early on it could be learned and acquired, and that meant it could also be turned and overcome. And there was love there, and something to fight for - whereas in Time of the Ghost, it sometimes felt as if the main characters were flying blind.

Kathleen.