[DWJ] Black Maria

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 07:59:22 EST 2017

 Interesting.  The book that is hard for me to read due to the family shown is - The Lives of Christopher Chant.  No adult in his life cares for him when he is very young and vulnerable.  They are either too self-absorbed in their ugly marital games, with almost no time spent with him, or using him in possibly dangerous experiments. I feel ill when he thinks his Uncle is great and cares for him.  And that there is NOBODY who spends time with him out of love.
It's a great book, but I can almost never read it.
Black Maria is not hard for me, I think because -- at least the children have a mother who cares for them, even though she can be fooled and manipulated by the baddies.
Homeward Bounders and Hexwood are the next hardest for me - due to the ending of one, and the childhood of one of the characters in the other.
Cheers,Esther