[DWJ] Black Maria

Catherine Butler cathcbutler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 01:00:27 EST 2017

Diana would certainly have known the term as meaning a police van - it’s in
fairly common usage in the UK. (I`ve never heard paddy wagon here - it
feels very American to me.) However, the book mentions Black Maria as the
name of a card game, so I take it that`s the primary reference, I've never
played the game under that name, but imagine it's like the one I knew as a
child, before I foreswore cards on the grounds that they're boring, under
the charming name The Black Bitch, where the aim is not to hold the queen
of spades.

Cathy