[DWJ] Black Maria

Martha Hixon martha.hixon at mtsu.edu
Mon Dec 11 21:28:48 EST 2017

hi, everyone,

I was reading *The Hanged Man *by P.N. Elrod, and ran across the term a
Black Maria, meaning a police van. I immediately thought of Diana's book by
that name, and was wondering whether anyone knows whether she was making
conscious connections when she used that term, or of course if anyone else
has made that connection, or has another insight on that title--?

it's *Aunt Maria *here in the U.S., so I'm more familiar with that
title--and I confess, I was unfamiliar with that term as a reference to a
"real" thing, so "aunt" has always made more sense to me.

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English
Middle Tennessee State University