[DWJ] Bristol

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Aug 29 17:08:48 EDT 2017

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:14:10 -0700
Caroline Mills <carrie at pitofdespair.org> wrote:

> I confess it's not an original idea as the DWJ meet around 15 years
> ago (!!) went to the suspension bridge, but I think it's also the
> most iconic Bristol location. I had forgotten that Polly also went
> there - my main Bristol recollection from F&H is a throwaway line
> about secondary schools being difficult there. As someone who grew up
> there, this immediately made me wonder if DWJ lived in north Bristol
> - the 75 children in my primary school year dispersed between about
> 30 secondary schools.

DWJ lived on the edge of Clifton where it falls off the hill by the
Gorge, just before it becomes Hotwells. (Her nearest pubs were the ones
more-or-less on the Cumberland Basin.)  It's pretty close to Ashton Park
school.  It's also a spit and a hop away from Clifton College and
Bristol Grammar and QEH, but they Cost.

One might wander around the centre of Bristol in a slightly anxious
manner, if one wanted to follow Polly, and see whether any of it seemed
to fit the book....

Minnow