[DWJ] Seldom End?

Nicholas Jackson nicholas at makyo.org.uk
Fri Aug 25 16:53:24 EDT 2017

On 25 August 2017 at 18:28, Eleanor Joslin <eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk> wrote:

> Do you know if that is a line Douglas Adams said of himself, or does it
> belong to one of his characters?

It's from the second Dirk Gently novel, "The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the
Soul" (pages 121-122 in the 1988 Pan paperback edition). Dirk has a
somewhat peculiar method of navigation: "My own strategy is to find a car,
or the nearest equivalent, which looks as though it knows where it's going,
and follow it. I rarely end up where I was intending to go, but often I end
up somewhere that I needed to be."

I don't know of any DWJ connections, although the story does involve Norse
gods wandering around as if they were ordinary people.

    Nicholas