[DWJ] Seldom End?

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Fri Aug 25 13:28:46 EDT 2017

Hi Debbie,

Given the many congruences between Time City and Oxford, I think it is a
reference to Selden End, part of the Bodleian Library.  In fact, that's
what clued me in to the Oxford congruences.

Do you know if that is a line Douglas Adams said of himself, or does it
belong to one of his characters?  It reminds me of an exchange from Doctor
Who (episode "The Doctor's Wife", in which the TARDIS is temporarily
incarnated as a woman called Idris):

The Doctor <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1741002/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: You didn't
always take me where I wanted to go.

Idris <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1013087/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: No, but I