[DWJ] Dwj Digest, Vol 135, Issue 6

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Aug 4 11:18:25 EDT 2017

On 4 Aug 2017, at 15:20, Emma Falconer <emmajanefalconer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry that I have driven someone away with my posting. However I'm confused exactly how I did it.

Emma, I want to reassure you that neither you, nor anyone else, drove someone away from this list. Not every online community is for everybody. We have probably all, over the years, left mailing lists, Facebook groups, LiveJournal or Dreamwidth communities, or stopped following Tumblr tags or ... I actually don't know the vocabulary for all of the other types of online communities, but you know what I am saying. As the person who sees the subscribe and unsubscribe messages for this list, I can assure you that we have constant turnover; people join, they leave, sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. Nobody on this list has said anything they shouldn't.

I also want to reassure people that nobody has complained to me about anything that anyone else has said on the list, or asked me for stricter rules, or asked me to set guidelines. I'm pretty sure the last time that happened was more than a decade ago.

You are all great.

This is a fine place to discuss other authors. I know I am not the only one who has gotten so many recommendations for my favorite books from you folks. Melissa's occasional long roundups are famous for a reason.

If we went off into a week-long digression about John Grisham, maybe we would ask people to take it elsewhere, but I don't think that's ever happened.

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:

> There is another list that many of us are on, child_lit, where this more general discussion is very welcome.

Childlit is definitely a list worth knowing about, and some of you might like it there, but *feel totally free* to continue having discussions about CS Lewis here.  Child_lit info is at https://email.rutgers.edu/mailman/private/child_lit/ . The discussion is wide-ranging, and can be quite interesting. It's also a fairly high-volume mailing list--I find it impossible to keep up! --and unlike this list, people do get in some high-emotion arguments!  If that sounds okay to you, go ahead and check it out. Many of this list's members are already there.

But again, there was no discussion on this list that was inappropriate. Nobody should feel silenced by that former list member's farewell post.

xoxoxoxo

deborah