[DWJ] Looking for article submissions for a zine about CS Lewis

Chris Cooke cc at canteringserpent.com
Thu Aug 3 09:52:54 EDT 2017

Hi Emma,

I'm not much good at articles but I could offer you this wee story.

> Can I really bring myself to read Mere Christianity without throwing it against the wall? (Update- no.)
Back in the mists of time, adolescent me started to realise that he was gay. This was a problem because gay sex was entirely illegal then, and generally disapproved of. On top of this I was very naive, so I did the only thing I could think of, and bravely went to ask my doctor for advice. His response was to recommend that I read Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis. I assumed that the book would have lots of relevant and helpful advice for someone in my situation. Boy was I wrong. It seemed that the doctor thought I had "lost my way" and needed a bit of guidance to get me back onto the straight and narrow, with the emphasis on straight. Also, as well as being naive I was very logical - good at maths - so when the book tried on, as I remember, only its first or second page to logically prove the existence of God, but got its logic wildly wrong, I gave up on it there and then.

In subsequent years I did come to terms with my sexuality quite well :-) but I haven't read *any* C. S. Lewis. Should I?

Chris.