[DWJ] Subject: Re: Looking for article submissions for a zine about CS Lewis

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 3 00:12:32 EDT 2017

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Emma Falconer wrote:

> Was it because they objected to the fantasy element? There was a girl in my
> class at junior school whose family were some kind of hardcore prostestant
> sect. She wasn't allowed to go to birthday parties outside the family, I
> think in case there was dancing, and the family had some weird ideas about
> pretend games, and drama and art activities at school. It was ok to do
> things that were "real" like draw another kid in class, but anything too
> imaginary was somehow dangerous.

I had a classmate in theology class (all adults) who was of the firm
conviction that fiction was bad, and fantasy was particularly bad: "every
moment you spend in a made-up world is a moment away from God." Quoting
Tolkien at her didn't help.

When I wailed about that to my cousin the nun, she (my cousin) said "piffle,
slaying dragons in a story is just another way to deal with evil".

(Another classmate lent me all of Mercedes Lackey, so there's that.)

    Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.
Blog: http://valdyas.org/fo3 Books: http://valdyas.org/irina/books/