[DWJ] Another reading list

D.J. Natelson debrisoftheages at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 30 21:04:54 EDT 2017

I haven't read all of these, but of the ones I have read (which include "The Android's Dream"), here are my thoughts:

I just started Pratchett's "Strata", and was amazed at how much it reminds me of Douglas Adams, so spot on there.

I've never had any interest in "The Eyre Affair".  I picked it up once, but didn't get far.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

"American Gods" is definitely not the Gaiman book I'd recommend, because -- unlike the Discworld series -- it contains graphic sex and other high adult content levels.  The obvious choice for Gaiman would be "Good Omens", but I have different issues with that.  Frankly, Gaiman, although very talented, isn't particularly funny and strikes me as suiting a different crowd than Pratchett.

I remember quite liking "The Android's Dream" when I read it.  In fact, I think I've read it twice, and have it on my bookshelves. The humor is definitely American, but I think it's a good pick for this list.  I'd happily read it again.

My Mary-sue alert went off when I tried to read "Artemis Fowl", and that ruined it for me.

In my opinion, DWJ's funniest book is "Archer's Goon".

I loved Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" books when I was 10.  When I tried to reread them at 13, I thought they were dreadful.

I thought "Goblin Quest" was . . . okay.  The humor is definitely more American again, and definitely more guy humor than universal.  I enjoyed it when I read it, but wouldn't read it again or seek out the sequels.

I've read the first five or six of Asprin's "Myth" books.  Farce again, but without much real depth or value.  Junk food for your brain, basically.

Tom Holt is an excellent choice for the list, though I haven't read the particular one they recommend.  His humor is very British, and he has some interesting takes on things.  I don't think he's a terrific writer, but I still remember some of the things in "You Don't Have to be Evil to Work Here, but It Helps," and a couple other books, which is a bonus.  But when I recently picked up a book of his, I couldn't get into it.  Less of a problem, but still very off-putting to me, is that he's clearly anti-American.  He doesn't harp on this a lot, but I did NOT appreciate it when he did.

I love "Dealing with Dragons" and the next took books in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, but the fourth book does this really weird thing where it completely (and without explanation) changes the history and continuity of what happened.  I'll read the others again, but not that one.  I do think this is a slightly odd choice for the list, since it's aimed at a younger age group, but thinking back, I realize there are some genuinely funny moments.