[DWJ] Can someone remind me where the website went?

Elizabeth Bentley ebsln at icloud.com
Mon Sep 5 16:39:11 EDT 2016

Speaking as someone whose daughter got engaged to someone aged 38 when she was 21, so a larger gap than between Tom and Polly, I don’t think I feel this is so extraordinary, though I admit to having had slight worries at the time.

I certainly never felt it to be an issue when reading the book.

Elizabeth

> On 3 Sep 2016, at 21:06, hschinske--- via Dwj <dwj at suberic.net> wrote:
>

> I'm bothered by the age difference as well. Even by the end of the book it doesn't meet the half-your-age-plus-seven rule, and I generally think of nineteen as way too young to be engaged, *especially* if one's had a complicated childhood leaving one with a lot to figure out, as Polly certainly has. (I mean, my gosh, the daddy issues alone... and her mother's even worse.)
>
> I'm quite fond of Professor Bhaer as well. I expect you've heard my theory that the Jo/Fritz marriage was really intended as a more perfect version of Alcott's parents' marriage, not something she wanted for herself. They were able to run an idealistic school and make a reasonable success of it, for one thing. I have occasionally said that my husband is rather like a cross between Laurie and Professor Bhaer, what with being tall, dark, curly-haired, and musical, but also scholarly-looking, bespectacled, bass-voiced, and possessed of a slightly clumsy German name.
>
> Helen Schinske

Elizabeth Bentley BA MCLIP
Librarian

CILIP's School Libraries Group national committee
mailto:ebsln at icloud.com

SLN (School Librarians' Network): To subscribe send a blank email to:
mailto:sln-subscribe at yahoogroups.com