[DWJ] Can someone remind me where the website went?

hschinske at aol.com hschinske at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 16:06:01 EDT 2016

 I'm bothered by the age difference as well. Even by the end of the book it doesn't meet the half-your-age-plus-seven rule, and I generally think of nineteen as way too young to be engaged, *especially* if one's had a complicated childhood leaving one with a lot to figure out, as Polly certainly has. (I mean, my gosh, the daddy issues alone... and her mother's even worse.)

I'm quite fond of Professor Bhaer as well. I expect you've heard my theory that the Jo/Fritz marriage was really intended as a more perfect version of Alcott's parents' marriage, not something she wanted for herself. They were able to run an idealistic school and make a reasonable success of it, for one thing. I have occasionally said that my husband is rather like a cross between Laurie and Professor Bhaer, what with being tall, dark, curly-haired, and musical, but also scholarly-looking, bespectacled, bass-voiced, and possessed of a slightly clumsy German name.

Helen Schinske