[DWJ] Can someone remind me where the website went?

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 03:17:27 EDT 2016

I have to admit, I'm one of those readers who get uncomfortable with the
Tom and Polly age difference. Not to the point where I can't enjoy the
story - on the contrary, I think it's one of DWJ's finest - but definitely
to the point where I can't root for them as a couple.

I think part of it is that he is very parental towards her for a lot of the
book, at a point where she really needs parenting, too. Yes, she's outgrown
that by the end, but I never really got a feeling for them as an adult
couple, and so the lingering impression is the early one. It's similar to
how I'm uncomfortable with the notion of Wolverine/Rogue in the X-men movie
fandom, but not at all uncomfortable with Logan/Max in Dark Angel. The fact
that I read the book as an adult - so even 19 year old Polly doesn't seem
all that grown up - might make a difference too.

But in fairness, a large part of my impression might be because I read the
version with that horrible cover where Tom looks about fifty. And while I
do think that cover is flat-out wrong, it's hard to shake it.

Katarina