[DWJ] long, long delayed discussion of teaching Hexwood

Debbie Gascoyne dgascoyne at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:13:11 EDT 2016

(delurks) Hello, everyone!
Coincidentally, I'm currently working on a PhD dissertation on DWJ, and the
chapter I'm working on right now is about Hexwood.  I'm following this
discussion with great interest!  It amazes me that after reading it now
about 6 times in the last month alone I still keep finding new things!

I wonder if any of you have any clues about the source of the reference to
Merlin losing an eye?  Hume has an eye infection when he's a child with
Mordion, and at the end of the book, when it's revealed that he's Merlin,
Martin/Fitella says something like "the last time I saw you you only had
one eye" - I've been scouring resources about Merlin, and can't find
anything.  I know that a lot of the intertextual references are
(deliberately) imprecise, but, you know, I have that scholarly itch to try
and get a handle on this one.

cheers,

Debbie

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Stallcup, Jackie E <jackie.stallcup at csun.edu