[DWJ] Chrestomanci lookalike

Sally Odgers sally at sallyodgers.com
Fri Aug 5 20:51:56 EDT 2016

Kobna H-S grows on me as a narrator. He does Peter, the half
Sierra-Leone/Half Cockney protagonist beautifully. Peter is smart, but
has a few grammatical errors he knows hes making and makes anyway
because that's the way he chooses to speak. Nightingale sounds utterly
different and he's one of the few (in my opinion) male narrators who
make women sound approximately like women. Some men whisper or just
pitch up their voices, but K H-S manages a different tone for each
character. He even manages to differentiate beteen the young women and
teens he deals with at times. The reason I say "grows on me" is that at
first I thought he sounded a bit husky, but then I came to admire the
different pitches. Now Jame Marsters, whom I like as an actor,
disappointed me when he read The Dresden series because he kept gulping
and sighing audibly. Too close to the mic?

Sally Odgers

By the way...
My usual work address is sodgers at iinet.net.au

The reason for theissally at sallyodgers.com one is that when I'm telling
someone the address it's a far easier one to remember.

Having a surname like Odgers (Rogers? Hodgets? Bodger?) is difficult
enough without having people trying to get their heads around iinet.
(Eye-eye-net? aye-aye-net? inet? eyenet?)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 07:26:30 -0600, "Otter E. Perry"  wrote:

On Aug 4, 2016, at 7:36 PM, Sally Odgers wrote:

> Nightingale is brought to gentlemanly life by Kobna
> Something-Something... Holdbrooke-Smith? ... on the audiobooks.

I own three of them, but haven't listened to them yet, except for
the sample to make sure I could stand the narrator.

[You got the name right, except it's Holdbrook, not Holdbrooke. I'm
seriously impressed.]