[DWJ] Call for Illustration Suggestions

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:12:42 EDT 2015

Hello Richie!

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 4:27 AM, Richie Wheelock <elfish4 at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
*... So I figured this list might have some suggestions for what I should
draw next. Since I need the practice, I'll consider anything--characters,
scenes, scenery--as long as it's from The Spellcoats. I'm posting
everything to my tumblr, too, so feel free to stop by and get a feel for
what I've done before. The art can be found here:
http://fillyjonkapologist.tumblr.com/
<http://fillyjonkapologist.tumblr.com/>*

I do like your angry Tanaqui! (the "tanaudel" who just followed your Tumblr
blog is me: tanaudel.tumblr.com)

Some ideas:

- Close-up of hands weaving a coat with a story in it.
- The Keeper of Antiquities studying a coat and a map, with shadows of the
living characters in the background (I love this Donato Giancola painting
so much - it would be a grand pose
http://www.donatoart.com/portraits/cartographerp.html )
- *just* about to put the cloak on the idol

When I'm illustrating, I like to pick a point of movement/tension. It helps
gets a lot of story/urgency into the picture.

Sometimes I also draw things out of a hat! It helps mix things up and
generate ideas.

For example, I might make a list of scenes/characters, another of styles or
viewpoints or emotions (Pre-Raphaelite, cave painting, bird's-eye view),
another of media. And then for example it could be "Tanaqui and the Gulls"
in the style of "Roman mosaic" from "low viewpoint" and "watercolour".
Which immediately suggests a small person (The keeper of antiquities?
perhaps carrying a map or book about the spellcoats?) looking at a huge
mosaic/mural of Tanaqui and the Birds on the wall of some civic building.
Perhaps by a small light? --> big shadows, echoes of the past.

Also, it has been too long since I read the books

K.