[DWJ] Book recommendations

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 22:28:33 EDT 2015

A lot of the things I've enjoyed recently have been mentioned here, but I
wanted to add a few other suggestions:

The Elemental Trilogy by Sherry Thomas (
http://sherrythomas.com/the-burning-sky.php) starting with The Burning
Sky.  Thomas is usually a romance author, but this is a YA fantasy trilogy
(the third book comes out this September) in which there are hidden magical
realms tucked in between our countries, and the prince of one of these
realms, which is occupied by an evil empire ruled by an overlord, is
attending school at Victorian-era Eton.  The first book takes a few
chapters to get going, but I absolutely loved it: there's a girl disguised
as a boy attending school, a book you can actually go into, and the world
is well thought out and extends far beyond England (especially in the
second book).

You guys have all read the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater, right?
Because you should.  It's got a little Susan Cooper to it, a little of John
Green's Looking for Alaska (except much better), and it's fantastic and
enthralling.

The Daughter of Smoke and Bone books by Laini Taylor (
http://daughterofsmokeandbone.com/) (I feel like this has been mentioned on
this list before, but I can't quickly find a specific instance, so I'll
bring them up again), starting with the book of that name.  I read this on
a friend's recommendation, slightly skeptical, because the description
online made it sound like urban fantasy, and I'm not a big urban fantasy
fan.  There's a lot more to the trilogy than that, and it unfurls with
writing that's poetic without being too poetic.  It's got a romance that I
didn't really care that much about, but I liked (most of) the characters
and the world a lot.

I really enjoyed the last book in Mary Robinette Kowal's Glamor and Glass
series, which I thought was one of the strongest entries in the series.
She does a good job of balancing modern sensibilities about race and
slavery with a fidelity to the actual reality of what those institutions
were like.  Her characters don't solve the world's problems or save
everyone, and are probably a little too good to be true, but in a
satisfying way.

I also really loved Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, which I read right
before Jo Walton's My Real Children, and then My Real Children didn't work
quite as well for me, though I liked it as well.  Both are worth reading,
though possibly not back to back.  I also really loved China Mieville's The
City and the City.  Books that are probably worth a read but didn't live up
to my expectations recently include: Ready Player One, the Mistborn books,
and A Gathering of Shadows.  I really liked Uprooted, but I'm still waiting
for more Temeraire and a little sad that the next book will be the last.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  I'm wearing out my OverDrive library
card.

Lizzie