[DWJ] Book recommendations

D.J. Natelson debrisoftheages at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 14:23:16 EDT 2015

I'd like to add a few recs also.  But before I do, I'd like to share one of my own books, the one that is most, well, DWJ-y.  I thought some of you might appreciate it and so, for this group, I have made the ebook FREE this Sunday (the 5th) through Thursday (the 9th).  It's called LOGIC'S EMPORIUM OF STOLEN MEMORIES. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Logics-Emporium-Stolen-Memories-Natelson-ebook/dp/B00RN8RXQQ/  If anyone from this group has trouble getting it, or sees this email late, I'd be happy to send you a free e-copy.
Okay, on to other recs:
THE SECRET COUNTRY TRILOGY by Pamela Dean.  (The Secret Country, The Hidden Land, the Whim of the Dragon).  A portal fantasy, and probably the best I've ever read.  I found the beginning of the first book a little difficult the first time I read it, since she purposefully uses rather Shakespearean language for part of it, but that gets much easier as you get used to it (and it's not pervasive anyway).
THE BARTIMAEUS TRILOGY by Jonathan Stroud.  Another fantastic and hilarious trilogy.  Stroud's newest series, the Lockhart mysteries, is also superb.  Actually, all his books are.  After DWJ, he's probably my favorite author.
THE JOHN CLEAVER SERIES by Dan Wells.  Rather a strange rec.  My elder sister told me to read the first book and I kept putting her off because of the supremely awful titles of the book.  Then she bought me signed and personalized copies and so I had to read them.  Man, I should not judge a book by it's title. The first book is called "I Am Not a Serial Killer."  It's about a teenage sociopath who has all the indications of a future serial killer but is determined to be a good person instead.  And then a real serial killer (and possibly a demon) comes to town.  Dan Wells does his research.  He really understands his subject matter (of which I know something), and it shows.  Please, please don't be put off by the title as I was.  Dan Wells is now my third favorite author.  He also has a sci-fi trilogy (Partials) which is excellent but has a slow first half to the first book. Content warning for disturbing imagery in the second book.
WIZARD AT WORK by Vivian Vande Velde.  A collection of  connected short stories about a long-suffering wizard who has to keep solving people's problems.
Deborah