[DWJ] Book recommendations

Janet Eastwood janet.eastwood at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 4 01:59:56 EDT 2015

I'll have to look into these! Some I've read (I read Uprooted last week, am now rereading it, and was just given The Lie Tree - fantastic timing on your part) and most I've never heard of.
A few titles I would add to the list of books that fill some of the hole:
THE THIEF and sequels by Megan Whalen Turner. My favourite is the third book, THE KING OF ATTOLIA, but they're all very well written in an utterly convincing world and characters who stay with you in the way Sophie and Howl do. Bonus: the Sounis Livejournal fan community is warm and enthusiastic, like people on this list, and are aware of the influence DWJ had on MWT. Also, MWT incorporated a line from Howl's Moving Castle into The Thief as a tribute to DWJ, and an indirect quote (a parallel description) from The Eagle of the Ninth.
A COALITION OF LIONS by Elizabeth Wein. My favourite of her Aksum-Camelot series. And of course, CODE NAME VERITY is fantastic. As are the rest of her books. I wouldn't start with THE WINTER PRINCE, though, unless you are very determined.
AMY UNBOUNDED: BELONDWEG BLOSSOMING by Rachel Hartman. The comic she wrote long before SERAPHINA and SHADOW SCALE, which are also good but much less wonderfully chaotic than their precursor. The comic is middle grade (really for all ages); the novels are YA.
THE GOBLIN EMPEROR by Katherine Addison. Rich and deep. Read the glossary notes on grammar (sorry, don't have a copy and can't check what the section is actually called) before you start and save yourself a headache. Slow build.
I enjoyed K. M. Ormsbee's THE WATER AND THE WILD, although I read it so quickly I can't remember why, only that I did. Holly Black's THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN is a fascinating, vampire-laced look at reality tv and the culture of celebrity, and THE DARKEST PART OF THE FOREST takes on a chivalric dream turned nightmare; both emphasize sibling relationships as well as romance.
THE HOLLOW KINGDOM by Clare Dunkle. I have hugely mixed feelings about this one, but the writing is unquestionably skillful and the ideas/norms/tropes it presents (and that I am still arguing about internally - time for a reread) are worth thinking seriously about. Having said all that, it is not at all a slog to read; rather, the sentences flow smoothly, concealing the wealth of fractious ideas underneath.
And then there's the picturebooks... :)
I, too, am curious about other people's lists.

Janet