[DWJ] Book that might appeal to DWJ-ers

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 25 23:44:33 EST 2015

Weather, by Isobelle Winter, is a book that might appeal to DWJ-ers.

Here's the review I did for it at Goodreads.

I loved WEATHER. Julian, the protagonist, reminds me somewhat of Rupert
Venables in Diana Wynne Jones's "Deep Secret" and since that is one of my
all-time favourite books, "Weather" was bound to appeal! It was the
characters that I admired most in this one. The story was great, with some
familiar tropes/situations used with fresh and original twists. The
situation of a young man who has no idea of his powers is always a winner
and when he has to puppy-walk two beings of huge power and little worldly
knowledge... well! What I liked about Julian was how his attention to duty
balanced his inborn humanity and kindness. His uncommon ability to "make
family" is heartwarming.

I realise this review says little about the plot, but I hope it addresses
the tone. Read "Weather" if you're looking for a true cross-over,
well-written and thoughtfully constructed. It's equally suited to YA and
general readers. Oh- and it's funny and touching too - an unbeatable
combination.

Sallyo