[DWJ] Original Cover Art - A Tale of Time City

Kathleen Jennings kathleen.jennings at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 18:10:20 EST 2015

Very cool!

A lot of cover artists (older and younger) do still work in traditional
media, or in combinations, and there is some STUNNING original art out
there (Illuxcon is a traditional media fantasy illustration convention and
a great place to start looking for them). It's also where a lot of
traditional figurative/classical art techniques are kept alive.

Personally I tend to work in a combination - pencil, ink, cut-paper,
scratchboard - with some digital editing or colour. I like having something
unique and physical to show for it at the end, but it's nice to be able to
adjust aspects quickly.

Regarding final design, however, my personal theory is that good typography
can save bad cover art, but nothing can save bad typography.

ObDWJ: I collect the Spectrum Art Annuals, and am occasionally very
thrilled to spot a new DWJ cover simply by content.

http://tanaudel.wordpress.com