[DWJ] Howl's birthday and question

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Wed Feb 4 03:54:39 EST 2015

We could assign Sophie DWJ's birthday, August 16th.

Except I can't remember, did she leave school because the money ran out or because she was old enough to leave anyway? If the latter, an August birthday is fine. In the British school system (I'm going to assume Ingary is the same) the oldest kids in each year group are usually the ones born on 1 September. Sophie would be one of the youngest in her year, and would still be 17 when she left. That leaves about 9 months before 1 May next year for her father to die and the apprenticeships to be sorted out. That feels, if anything, too long to me. But if she needs to leave school in the middle of the year, she needs to turn 18 in September or later so that she falls into a year group that is still at school at that point.

As for a Howl birthday celebration, it should probably involve lots of beer.

Eleanor