[DWJ] Spindle's End

Sally Odgers sally at sallyodgers.com
Fri Dec 18 19:40:20 EST 2015

I think it's partly that it's about identity (Rosie) and has a lot of
small details that layer to make up a world I can believe in. This
reminds me especially of Islands of Chaldea... Aunt Beck's shoe heels
come to mind! Come to that, Aunt in Spindle is a softened version of
Aunt Beck and both ladies have apprentices who seem less talented than
they actually are. Kat is somewhat like Sophie in HMC, and the cat
(whose name I can't spell, as I'm hearing it in audio) is a bit like a
DWJ cat... very, in fact. The complexity is also DWJ-ish, as is the
warts-and-all portrayal of characters. The tone is a little different-
RM tells more rather than showing as DWJ does, but the perfect phrasing
is familiar.

Sally Odgers