[DWJ] Dorian

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 07:58:39 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I went in to see Dorian on Friday afternoon, and will be going in for the
next few weeks at that time.  Her parents have been going in for the
afternoon visiting times every day, but her father had hip replacement
surgery last week, so it was good to be able to give her mother a bit of
help.

I don't really have anything to add to the reports Emma and Kylie have
shared here and in the off-list emails, but wanted to update about the
audiobook situation. Dorian's father told me that the occupational
therapists had said she needed stimulation, but not too much stimulation,
as for example if she had several visitors at once. I talked to the nurse
who's been taking care of her when I got there, and mentioned the plan to
bring in an iPod with audiobooks and she said that would be fine.  She said
she has classical music on her Walkman and they play that sometimes for her
when she seems restless or distressed. After I'd been reading for a while
it started to get really noisy in the ward, and when the nurse came back
over I mentioned what the OTs had said about too much stimulation. She
agreed it really is a problem for someone in Dorian's situation, and said
that the ward could get much noisier even than it was then. Dorian didn't
respond, whether to the loud voices or even the nurse call button, and
after that it occurred to me that audiobooks are very unlikely to be
helpful to her at this point. Emma has sent Pat two CDs, so they could try
them on the Walkman, but it really seemed to me that familiar voices or the
classical music would be the only sounds that would do anything more than
contribute to the already chaotic background right now.

I don't know if people who contributed towards the audios want to discuss
here or off-list with Emma what they'd rather do. Maybe in a few months
audiobooks will be great, and of course if people want to go ahead with the
original plan I'm happy to do that too.

Hallie