[DWJ] Enchanted Glass in The Game

Martha Hixon marthahixon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:00:34 EDT 2014

I had noticed that, too (that the shed from *EG *seems to be the same as
the one in *Game*), but like Philip, I am stymied by the obviously
different locations--Ireland vs. England--and the fact that both estates
clearly have been in the same families for generations. I couldn't do any
more with an apparent connection, so I decided that it was just a cool
motif that DWJ used twice--the books are both from near the end of her
writing career and around the time she became ill. But maybe it was a point
she intended to develop at some time in future books--the two books are set
in different worlds in the multiverse, perhaps?

I think coincidence is probably also behind the similarities Philip notes
between *TofG* and *EG, *especially since, as Cathy Butler and others have
demonstrated, DWJ did draw from the real landscape she lived in at various
points in her life, and since landscape/setting is more general than a
specific image like a shed with stained glass panes in it. Does anyone know
whether she was using a specific place in England as the backdrop for these
two books?

Martha

Dr. Martha P. Hixon
Department of English