[DWJ] Hello again, and beards

Janet Eastwood janet.eastwood at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 01:08:15 EDT 2014

Me too! I got to his age in years and days, and then the problems of midsummer, leap years, and months (30/31 days) defeated me. Math is not my strong suit.
Sophie also is given an unusually precise age, although she isn't actually 18 for most of the book. Charmain's age is given by inference as well - she has just completed year 10, which places her at 14 or 15 during her adventures, depending on whether her birthday is before or after the summer. (This is assuming that House of Many Ways takes place during the summer, but this seems logical as Charmain is not in school at the time, there are abundant flowers on the mountains and blossoming hydrangeas outside Great Uncle William's house, and she is able to convince her mother that her letter from the king is her leaving certificate, just in case she leaves school after year 10.)
Actually, I wonder whether as Old Sophie her age is 78 or 90. We know that Sophie is 18. Calcifer tells her that the Witch of the Waste's curse has taken 60 years from her life, which would make Sophie 78. However, Sophie repeatedly claims to be and refers to herself as 90. Sophie's conversational magic makes what she says come true, and Howl and Calcifer confirm that the age-curse has two layers, the Witch's and Sophie's own. This can be read as the first layer (the Witch's) being reinforced, but not otherwise altered by the second (Sophie's). It can also be read as the first layer (the Witch taking 60 years) being augmented by the second (Sophie making herself 90, i.e. taking a further 12 years off her own life).
Anyway, thanks, Eleanor, for calculating so precisely! I enjoy celebrating, if quietly and by myself, the birthdays of fictional characters, which does depend on having a known birth day :)
Are there any other books where the ages and dates are given so precisely? My impression is that DWJ mostly keeps age implied, and adjustable according to the reader's preference.
Janet