[DWJ] Hello again, and beards

Philip Belben philip at axeside.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 12:55:06 EDT 2014

> Watching the Miyazaki *Howl* on Sunday got me to wondering whether
> Markl/Michael's habit of donning a beard before greeting visitors to the
> Porthaven and Kingsbury entrances of the castle might be a subtle nod to *Dark
> Lord*. Though in truth it made him look more like a dwarf than a wizard.
> Any thoughts?

Did anybody answer Cathy's question?

It's many years since I saw that film, but I would connect the beard
with those two cloaks of disguise that Michael and Sophie used in the
book - one made you look like a man with a beard, the other like a
horse.  I think Howl even told Sophie to "take off that awful beard" or
something at one point.

Philip.